Lesson I: Pistol Knowledge and Safe Gun Handling
1. State the course goal and any special requirements for the five lessons.
2. Identify the principal parts of a pistol and the types of pistol actions, and demonstrate how they function.
3. State, explain and apply the NRA Rules for Safe Gun Handling.
4. Demonstrate how to handle a pistol in a safe manner.
Lesson II: Ammunition Knowledge and the Fundamentals of Pistol Shooting
5. Identify the different components of a pistol cartridge.
6. Explain the firing sequence of a cartridge.
7. Explain how to properly identify and store ammunition.
8. State the major types of cartridge malfunctions and how to react to them.
9. Explain the fundamentals of pistol shooting.
Lesson III: Shooting Positions and Shooting Qualifications
10. Demonstrate the learning steps to assume the benchrest position, and shoot from the benchrest position.
11. Demonstrate the learning steps to assume the isosceles position, and shoot from the isosceles position
12. Shoot the course qualification.
Lesson IV: Scoring Targets, and Selecting and Maintaining Your Pistol
13. Properly score a pistol target.
14. Explain the basic guidelines for selecting and purchasing a pistol.
15. Identify the materials needed to clean a pistol.
16. Demonstrate how to safely clean a pistol.
Lesson V: Continued Opportunities for Skill Development
17. Identify several ways to pursue pistol shooting activities after the course.
18. Successfully complete the NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course written examination.